Making a Referral – Frequently Asked Questions

Published by Jo on 11th March 2022

Green Light’s Managing Director Jo Pyrah provides some answers to questions frequently asked by people requesting services, or making a referral for a package of accommodation and support.

Q: Who does Green Light support? 

A: Green Light was set up to provide accommodation and support for adults (16-64) with learning disabilities and autism.  Our training, policies and procedures have all been developed with the needs of this particular population in mind.  We are unable to offer services outside of  our ‘service user band’ the client group we are registered as supporting with the Care Quality Commission.

Q: Who does Green Light accept referrals from?  

A: Referrals are usually made by social workers, care coordinators or commissioners seeking packages for someone they’ve identified as having ‘eligible needs’; people with a physical or mental condition that adversely impacts on their wellbeing.

Q: How do I request an assessment of ‘eligible needs’ for the person I would like to refer? 

A: This is normally done through your local authority website.  In Cornwall you can do this here.  This is needed before a service can be commissioned with Green Light by the local authority so ideally this should happen before a referral is made to Green Light.

Q: How does Green Light know if they can meet someone’s needs?

A:  A member of our senior team completes an assessment of the person’s service needs.  This includes meeting the person, their family and others involved and reviewing historical and other information about needs, wants and goals.  Where we feel we can meet the person’s needs, we provide a proposal with details along with an offer for commissioners to consider.  If approved we will enter a transition planning phase to agree the best approach to a move with the person or their representatives. 

Q: Does Green Light offer emergency placements, respite/short breaks, or support at short notice?

A: No.  It can take several months between a service being agreed by those responsible for funding this to the point when we can actually start to provide the service.  Sometimes we are able to provide some parts of the service earlier, for example support during a transition period while a property is being adapted or registered with the regulator.  Our PBS team and other key team members may start to build relationships with the person and knowledge about their needs during this time.  We have a long lead time because our services are often created in a bespoke way, from the ground up, for and with each person.  It takes time to identify, adapt and register a home.  It takes time to advertise, recruit, train and induct a new team and complete pre-employment checks.  This lead time increased during the pandemic, and after our departure from the EU as recruitment slowed, and as the property market became very challenging with more people wanting to move to Cornwall. 

For these reasons, we always welcome early contact and discussion about what people may need in the months ahead, as this allows us to plan with people in mind and provide a sensitive planned transition for people.   

Q: Is there any information or resources you’d recommend to help me get the right support?

A: The Challenging Behaviour Foundation provide some really good information often created by academics and leading experts in learning disabilities and the law, including one called ‘Getting the Best Support Package’ which I often share with families.